Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Webquests

As I was searching for a Webquest, I came across this one: http://students.umf.maine.edu/stephanie.fogler/public.www/Assignments/webquest.html

The page is formatted so that the students have links to follow to read about the directions, the task, the rubric, and resources for completing the task.  The task to be completed is a performance task that allows students to interact with different websites and produce a fundraising idea for the people of Zimbabwe.  The students are divided into teams and asked to complete research and propose an idea.  The instructions are clearly stated and the expectations are listed in a rubric for the students.

Along with information for students, the webquests provides a teacher page.  This page indicates the objectives, purpose, standards, and other information about the value of the webquest activity.  For teachers that are new to the concept, I feel that this page was extremely helpful.  The teacher can investigate the purpose as well as what the student is asked to complete before providing the webquest to students to complete. 

While I found the purpose and information provided in the webquest to be enriching and of quite a bit of value, the aesthetics of the webquest were less than pleasing.  I did not think that the font was easy to read in some places with various bits of highlighting and a black background.  That aside, the webquest is a great way for students to interact with the internet while producing meaningful work.

No comments:

Post a Comment